Radharc Films, founded by Fr. Joe Dunn, was the first independent production company making documentaries for Irish television. Between 1962 and 1967, The 12th of January 2012 marked the 50th anniversary of the screening of the first programme on Telefis Eireann, 12 days after the station opened Various events took place throughout the year to celebrate this event. Radharc produced over 400 documentaries in 75 countries on a range of social, political and religious issues. The function of the Radharc Trust is to preserve and promote the archive . It achieves this in a number of ways:
1. By accurately cataloguing all the elements of the Archive - research documentation, film material, shot lists, still photography and other items connected with each film.
2. By promoting screenings of the films at film festivals, community events and historical societies.
3. By presenting awards to professional, amateur and junior documentary makers for quality documentaries made in the tradition and ethos of the Radharc films.
4. By supporting media literacy projects.
5. By initiating and encouraging discussion and debate on social and moral issues of the day